Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tear Jerkers

Two good tear jerkers...

Where the Red Fern Grows and Beach Music.  I cried.  I bawled.  I turned red and splotchy.  I wouldn't trade that emotional roller coaster for anything.  Contrast that with reading the same books again and again, sometimes 5 times a day with my classes. As a d English teacher, I know this allows me to truly understand the work in greater depth than ever before but sometimes I find that the literature approved by the state board of education and district lacks true passion. 

Can you imagine a classroom where the students are brought to tears by book?  Someone please tell me the last time they heard of anyone getting excited about the Canterbury Tales.  One of my many goals for the year, which also includes taking over the world, is to find a way to inspire passion for reading in my students.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment